Have you ever wondered why you are getting upset easily or why you need food right now when you realize that you feel hungry? Do you maybe even feel depressed, fatigued and low on energy?
If your answer is yes, the source of your problem could lie in the food you are eating.
Processed, fried, refined foods and simple carbs lead to a rapid increase in blood sugar which forces the pancreas to produce insulin. This hormone will reduce the excess sugar from the blood by triggering cells to absorb it, most of the time causing blood sugar levels to drop too low. Since our bodies strive for homeostasis, meaning a steady state, the lack of sugar in the blood now triggers us to eat again; preferably simple, easy absorbable carbs and the cycle begins again. This process is called 'dysglycemia' and puts a lot stress on your body. To keep you up and going despite a low sugar level, hormones like adrenalin and cortisol are released which increase stress on your adrenals leaving you shaky, cranky, lightheaded, dizzy, anxious and hungry.
Tips to prevent fluctuating blood sugar levels and improve your mood and health:
1) Eat whole, organic plant based foods
2) Eat regularly and do not skip meals
3) Start your day with a source of protein in form of quinoa, beans, avocados, eggs, yogurt, nuts and nut butters, seeds like hemp and chia.
4) Reduce caffeine
5) Avoid refined sugar, fried or packaged foods
6) Eat blood sugar stabilizing foods like home made bone broth, whole grains (black rice, steal cut oats) and leafy greens.
Health and Fitness have always played an important role in my life.